Integrated larvae production for feed in organic egg production
The project objectives are:
- to develop and demonstrate a robust system to produce a new organic feed supplement consisting of live insect larvae with an ideal amino acid composition. The project provides a sustainable way to meet the requirement from EU for organic farms (100% organic feed by 2012) and improved animal welfare in poultry flocks.
- to investigate the effect of larvae growth on the microbiology of the manure, including selected pathogens and human zoonotic bacteria to assess the microbiological safety to the system,
- to investigate a prebiotic effect in the digestive system of poultry,
- to demonstrate that the integrated ON-farm system is ideal for treating animal manure through composting with larvae and thereby recycle energy, N and P,
- to investigate the effect of feeding on organic meat and eggs produced with the new feed composition through taste tests and laboratory tests,
- and to demonstrate the high value of larvae digested manure as greenhouse and garden organic fertilizer product.
Lotte Bjerrum Friis-Holm
Kongsvang Allé 29
Tel: (+45) 72 20 21 42